Tuesday 21 March 2017

Peace

"When I was growing up, Belfast City Hall was surrounded by security, and we had no access to it. But now, people come in and out of it all the time. On a nice day, office workers and students sit on the lawn outside and have lunch. It's great to see how Northern Ireland has changed. To be part of that is fantastic." - James Nebitt

I was raised by staunch Irish parents. They were County Limerick born and raised, proud Munstermen, Catholic childhoods, Gaelic lessons in school, hurling, soda bread, black pudding, bacon and cabbage, Celtic FC the lot!

As a child I was raised Irish! I was born and raised in London but my dad in particular made sure we knew and felt we were Irish. Irish passports, Irish football kits, Irish TV, he even had us watching the Irish weather! Christie Moore and The Saw Doctors playing on the speakers. But he made sure we were aware of Irish history. He'd tell us about Michael Collins, we'd watch Angela's Ashes and The Wind That Shakes the Barley. We were told our stuff!

As I grew I adopted the nickname Paddy. Incredibly proud of my Irish heritage I began to research into Irish history. The English rule, the slave trade, the potato famine and subsequent immigration, the battles, Eamon De Valera, the quest for independence and most intriguingly the Troubles. The North, Ulster, Northern Ireland. I watched documentaries, read biographies and films and always came out seeing the North as the bad guys. I believed in a United Ireland. The Brits were no good. Should leave my beloved Ireland and that was that.

And then I fell in love with a girl who's parents were Ulstermen. Proud Northern Irish people born and raised. Protestant upbringing. They loved Ireland too and experienced much of the same Irish childhood as my parents. I visited the North for the first time a few years ago. I visited the peace walls, the murals, I heard the stories from both sides of the divide, I visited Crumlin Road Gaol and spoke to people who were immensely proud of the county Northern Ireland was becoming. The peace it was enjoying, and the future it had to look forward to.

At our wedding my father in law held up the Irish Tri Colour and spoke about the different upbringings myself and Kristin had had. Both Irish, but one in the ways of Republican Green, the other in the way of Unionist Orange. But in the middle was white. And he asked that we lived in the white. The white that symbolises peace. The peace that can be found in Christ.

The passing of Martin McGuinness this week has caused me to think seriously about peace. How precious it is, but also how fragilile it is. The peace process in Ireland has been a long hard road. Murder, tragedy, heartache, death and lies are present on both sides of the historical divide. But the peace process which McGuinness was part of, has brought hope to not just a country but to the world. And peace brings hope.

As a Christian I believe the ultimate peace is found in Christ. That He is the pinnacle of peace. The words "Peace be still" in Mark 4 assured me that I was a Christian 7 years ago. And it is my hope and prayer that Ireland, all 32 counties, might hear the gospel and know for themselves the peace of Christ. For there is no greater peace, than a peace with God, through His Son, Jesus.

"Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
Colossians 3:15‭-‬17

1 comment:

  1. Gah! Pads... you've got me in floods reading this. Amen, amen, amen to all the above!!!

    ReplyDelete